Spotlight on Black Treacle
Featured Genres: Horror, Dark Fantasy, Speculative Fiction
Length Requirements: 1500-5000 words
Submission Window: Rolling
Contributor Compensation: 25.00 CAD (Flat Rate)
Publication Schedule: Bi-monthly
Formats published: WWW, EPUB, MOBI
Why they started their journal: Black Treacle came out of some goals I set for myself after I started writing somewhat more “seriously” in May 2012. The idea was that publishing a magazine would ensure that I would always be doing something related to writing and that the editing & reading would help sharpen my own skills.
Base of operations: Cape Breton, Canada
What they are looking for: Original short stories in the genres of Horror, Dark Fantasy, and Speculative fiction. We are also open to non-fiction pieces directly related to our main genres.
What they are tired of seeing: The slush pile hasn’t made me salty as of yet but there are a couple of things that bug me:
- Submissions that don’t follow our guidelines, whether in word count or submission format.
- Stories that open with someone waking up or the weather. Neither of those events are particularly interesting or good hooks.
Tips for writers:
- Read the submission guidelines thoroughly for whatever market you are submitting to. Having a correctly formatted manuscript will put you ahead of the submissions that don’t.
- Make sure your piece is well-edited before sending. Don’t send your first or second draft– SEND THE FINAL! I can’t stress that enough. Yes, an editor is there to edit but you want to make their job as easy as possible.
- Read your story out loud. Sometimes, that beautiful sentence is only beautiful in the mind’s ear.
Additional Information: A Black Treacle podcast is in the works for 2014. It will feature stories we’ve previously published as well as new one. Keep an eye on our site for details.